Friday, September 30, 2016

24 and 26 Weeks

Well, preggo brain has run rampant this pregnancy and I haven't been as consistent as I'd wanted to be about keeping up with posts. I'm trying to be easy with myself, though. This pregnancy in and of itself has been stressful, plus family, work, housework, and finishing up on-line coursework for a certificate for work. Whew! The coursework is done and I'm very relieved to have it finished before Q comes!

So updates! I saw the MFM (high risk doctor) at 24 weeks (9/12) for another ultrasound. This was the follow-up to the gender scan, which was ordered so they could get a better look at Q's heart since he was turned on his side during the gender scan. Not only does his heart look great, it looks so good the doctor asked if he could use some of the ultrasound pictures in his lectures! My blood pressure was lower, which was great news. And apparently Q is an over-achiever! I was 24 weeks exactly at the scan, but he measured 25 weeks 4 days, so 11 days ahead. That means he gained 5 extra days in the 5 weeks since the gender scan. Go figure! The ultrasound tech saw his measurements and asked if I'd had my blood glucose test yet. My ob/gyn ordered it at 22 weeks, so I had and knew the results. I told her I had and that my results were within normal limits, though I thought they were maybe on the high side. Gestational diabetes can result in larger babies, but my test results indicate that I don't have it. She said that my ob/gyn may want to re-run the test later to be sure it doesn't develop later on. For now, though, no pre-eclampsia, no gestational diabetes, and a big, healthy baby with a perfect heart. Couldn't have been a better appointment!

I then saw my ob/gyn at 26 weeks (9/26). He measured me and confirmed that I'm bigger than usual for my gestation, which confirms that Q is measuring big. He said my glucose results weren't even on the high side of normal, they were just straight up normal and he didn't mention wanting to re-run the test. Yay!!! My blood pressure was lower again, so still no pre-eclampsia! This also means no need to induce Q early. The doctor said he can't/won't induce before 39 weeks for size alone, so we are looking good for natural childbirth. If my blood pressure spikes up later on in the pregnancy, we may need to induce as early as 37-38 weeks. I wouldn't mind if Q comes early for various reasons, but I'd much rather he comes on his own when he is ready. We'll see what happens!

Personally, J and I are starting to look at prenatal classes. We've enrolled M in a "Big Brother, Big Sister" class our hospital offers and she is very excited. I don't think we're going to take any classes this time around...maybe, but I doubt it. We are hoping to schedule a tour of the maternity ward soon. I'm starting to think about writing out our birth plan, making a list of what to pack in the hospital bag, and pre-registering with the hospital (saved us so much time with M). I'm slowly but surely getting projects done around the house, though there is still a LOT left to do. We'll have family in town around Thanksgiving and I know they'll be up to the challenge of helping us finish out projects that need doing. I'm trying to get a jump on Christmas shopping so I can have it all done just in case he comes before Christmas. My mother has already volunteered to help with gift wrapping, which is a huge help! Lots of preparations, but we still have 13ish weeks left.

This is a fun place to be on the road, for the most part. It is starting to become more real, though hope is still not a solid, assured thing. I'm letting myself prepare more, believe more. I feel like the pace has picked up, though I'm not going any faster (time has a funny way of acting like that sometimes). There is always time to stop and remember, though. Always time for Puff, Luke, and Bunny. They are always with me and always will be, a huge part of what carries me down the road and keeps me walking ever forward towards meeting Q.

2 comments: